Manchester United went into the international break in fantastic fashion with a dramatic 2-1 win over Brentford in the Premier League on Saturday afternoon.
The Red Devils looked destined for a seventh defeat of the campaign until Scott McTominay’s late heroics. He scored in the 93rd and 97th minute of the game.
The players will now join up with their respective countries on international duty and McTominay will be one of those involved with Scotland, who are flying high.
Scotland – Scott McTominay
The Scots are currently six points clear of Spain in their Euro 2024 qualifier group, having played a game more. They face La Roja away from home this week.
With an eight-point lead and a superior goal difference over third-placed Norway, a draw would put them on the cusp of making the tournament in Germany.
A victory would confirm their berth. It is very much a possibility after their surprise 2-0 win over Spain in March. McTominay scored both goals in that game.
Scotland have a friendly against France after the qualifier versus Spain.
Portugal – Bruno Fernandes, Diogo Dalot
Aside from McTominay, club captain Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot will be in action for Portugal.
The Euro 2016 champions face Slovakia and Bosnia & Herzegovina in their Euro 2024 qualifiers and victories would ensure their place in the final tournament.
Denmark – Christian Eriksen, Rasmus Hojlund
Similarly, Christian Eriksen will be representing Denmark against Kazakhstan and San Marino.
The Danes are currently in a tight qualifying group with them, Slovenia (13 points apiece), Finland and Kazakhstan (12 points apiece) separated by one point.
Eriksen will be accompanied by United striker Rasmus Hojlund, who has been in excellent form in the qualifying campaign with six goals to his name.
England – Harry Maguire, Marcus Rashford
Elsewhere, Victor Lindelof and Jonny Evans are expected to play pivotal roles for Sweden and Northern Ireland. The same can be said for Harry Maguire with England.
The Three Lions face Australia in a friendly before their Euro 2024 qualifier versus Italy. Marcus Rashford could get the nod in the starting line-up in the first of those games.
Moving to South America, Brazil’s Casemiro is expected to face Venezuela and Facundo Pellistri’s Uruguay in their World Cup qualifiers on October 12 and October 17.
Alejandro Garnacho could also be involved for Argentina in some capacity.
Cameroon – Andre Onana
In terms of African football, Andre Onana is back in the Cameroon squad for their friendlies against Russia and Senegal which will be played in Moscow and Lens respectively.
Morocco – Sofyan Amrabat & Tunisia – Hannibal Mejbri
Hannibal Mejbri and Sofyan Amrabat will also be in action for Tunisia and Morocco. The latter have a friendly against Ivory Coast before the final AFCON qualifier versus Liberia.
The 2022 World Cup semi-finalists have already made the final tournament, but a victory next week would guarantee them the top spot in their group ahead of South Africa.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England