Manchester United ended their campaign on a positive note as they qualified for next season’s Champions League.
Winning a Cup double would have been brilliant in Erik ten Hag’s first season in-charge, but it was not meant to be.
A number of United stars have now reported for international duty. Three of them are expected to feature for England.
Luke Shaw, Harry Maguire and Marcus Rashford have made the 25-man squad for the Euro 2024 qualifiers.
The Three Lions will be in action against Malta on Friday before hosting North Macedonia three days later.
In our view, all three of United stars should make the starting line-up against Malta this week.
Shaw has been England’s mainstay in the left-back role when fit and available. He should start ahead of Kieran Trippier.
The same could be said for Harry Maguire in central defence despite his limited game time over the recent season.
The 30-year-old made just eight starts in the Premier League, but he has been ever-present in Gareth Southgate’s plans.
Southgate recently said that Maguire’s place could be at risk, and we expect the United captain to move on this summer.
Meanwhile, Marcus Rashford has the perfect opportunity to re-establish himself as an England regular.
The left-wing position is up for grabs with Raheem Sterling not in the squad. Rashford will compete with Phil Foden for the role.
Judging by last season’s form, Rashford should be a clear starter against Malta on Friday evening.
The Red Devils graduate managed a stunning 30 goals for United last term, and also scored thrice from just 138 minutes at the World Cup.
Southgate received plenty of criticism for Rashford’s limited playing time in Qatar, and he will most likely start him from the off this week.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin