Manchester United are planning a shock move for Barcelona left-back Marcos Alonso following a muscular injury for Luke Shaw, according to The Telegraph.
The Red Devils are currently without Shaw until November after his latest injury. His deputy Tyrell Malacia is also out of action. He has been nursing a knee issue for several months.
Hence, United find themselves short in the left-back department. Diogo Dalot played as the makeshift left-back at the weekend and the club are now keen on signing a specialist.
As per The Telegraph, Alonso is one of the players considered as an emergency signing before the deadline. Marc Cucurella and Sergio Reguilon are the other alternatives.
Alonso would be a risky signing for United
The £103,000-a-week star has vast Premier League experience from his time at Chelsea. He made 52 goal contributions in 212 games for the Blues – out of which 47 came in the league.
Alonso was hugely successful in the final third for the London club, but the 32-year-old had his flaws at the back. He was often caught out of position when making overlapping runs.
In our view, he would be a risky signing for the Red Devils. Reguilon or Cucurella would be better acquisitions than Alonso. They have better awareness in defensive situations.
Talks have already started with Chelsea over a loan deal for Cucurella, but he won’t come on the cheap. Apart from a sizeable loan fee, United would need to pay his £175,000-a-week wages.
Cucurella had a dismal debut season with the Blues, but he was one of the stand-out players during his time at Brighton. He was brilliant with his defensive and offensive contributions.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions