Manchester United are planning a move for Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi, according to Spanish outlet Todo Fichajes.
The Red Devils have had a slow start to the current campaign and they have been hampered by multiple injury concerns.
Most of those have been in the defensive department.
United are currently without Luke Shaw, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Lisandro Martinez, who are assured starters in their backline.
It is now reported that the club are interested in signing Guehi from Palace and are prepared to meet the £60 million asking price.
The centre-back would also welcome the opportunity to move to Old Trafford.
Man Utd may not invest on new centre-back until next summer
United were keen on signing a top-class centre-back last summer and that was highly dependent on Harry Maguire heading for the exit door.
Contact was made with Bayern Munich over Benjamin Pavard, but a move did not materialise after Maguire turned down a potential transfer.
As a result, the club ended up signing Jonny Evans on a free transfer. The 35-year-old has been more than decent, but United need to think about the future.
Guehi would be a quality acquisition. This season, he has completed 91 per cent of his passes with an impressive 4.9 clearances and 4.9 ball recoveries.
The 23-year-old Englishman has also won 65 per cent of his ground and aerial duels. His Premier League experience would easily help him adapt to the playing style.
In our view, United are unlikely to spend big in January due to their tight financial situation. A purchase of a new central defender could be delayed until the summer.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions