Manchester United plan to make two big signings during the summer transfer window as they look to continue the rebuild under manager Erik ten Hag, Sport report.
The Red Devils have made tremendous progress in Ten Hag’s first season in-charge and they recently ended a six-year trophy drought by winning the Carabao Cup.
United will be eyeing more silverware in the remainder of the campaign but regardless of this, the manager is expected to be backed with funds during the next transfer window.
A marquee striker is obviously the prime priority for the Red Devils boss but a young midfielder could also be pursued as Ten Hag eyes more control in the centre of the park.
Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong was a top target for Ten Hag at the start of the season and Sport claim that he continues to remain on the Dutchman’s radar ahead of the summer.
United have a big summer coming up
The Red Devils made six signings during last summer’s transfer window. Barring Martin Dubravka, every other acquisition has made a huge impact in the current season.
Sir Alex Ferguson recently praised Ten Hag for his right choice of signings and hopefully, we will see the same this summer as United look to improve the first-team squad.
Ten Hag was obviously keen on landing De Jong last summer but he had no plans of joining United.
This proved a blessing in disguise as United went on to sign Casemiro, but we won’t be surprised if the Red Devils boss urges the board to make a fresh approach for De Jong.
With United on course to qualify for the Champions League, they should be a more lucrative destination for the Netherlands international compared to this season.
The 25-year-old is brilliant with the ball at his feet with a pass accuracy of 90 per cent throughout his career. He would be a perfect fit alongside Casemiro in United’s midfield.
United were ready to pay £63 million up front to land De Jong last summer but failed to agree terms with him. It remains to be seen whether they are second time lucky.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Whoscored.com
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager
- Eric Ramsay leaves Manchester United to become Minnesota head coach
- Man Utd prepared to listen to offers for Antony, willing to cut their losses