Manchester United will consider recalling Ethan Laird from his loan spell at Queen Park Rangers if Aaron Wan-Bissaka heads for the exit door in January, Manchester Evening News report.
The Red Devils currently have Diogo Dalot and Wan-Bissaka as the main right-back options under manager Erik ten Hag, but the latter has barely played this campaign.
While Dalot has started 20 of the club’s 21 games this term, Wan-Bissaka has been limited to just four minutes of competitive football which came against Liverpool.
Hence, it is quite clear that Ten Hag does not fancy the latter and it is now reported that the former Crystal Palace ace could leave the club in the next transfer window.
With the prospect of a potential takeover, it appears the Glazers have no plans to spend this winter. Laird could be recalled from QPR to act as Diogo Dalot’s understudy.
Laird would be a decent back-up for the season
The United graduate played more minutes than Wan-Bissaka during pre-season, but the club decided to loan him out in the summer to gain valuable first-team experience.
Under manager Michael Beale, he has fared impressively this term with one goal and two assists from 17 appearances. He has won nearly six ground and aerial duels per game.
The 21-year-old is unlikely to displace Dalot from the starting XI during the back end of the season, but could be seen as a decent deputy when the Portuguese needs a rest.
Alongside him, United could also rely on Brandon Williams and Axel Tuanzebe for right-back cover. The duo have been on the sidelines with injuries since the campaign started.
Williams was spotted back in training in the final weeks before the World Cup. He has generally played as a right-footed left-back, but is capable of operating on the opposite end.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Kim Min-jae set for Napoli farewell, Man Utd will trigger his release clause
- Erik ten Hag says Antony is ‘unlikely’ to be available for FA Cup final vs Man City
- Man Utd in front row to sign Rasmus Hojlund, contacts have intensified with Atalanta
- Man Utd ‘at the head’ of the race to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd could offer Harry Maguire in player-plus-cash deal to sign Mason Mount
- Man Utd could offer Scott McTominay as a makeweight to sign Declan Rice
- Man Utd could make surprise move for Empoli goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario
- Kim Min-jae has his window wide open on Man Utd, will cost €58m
- Manuel Ugarte excited by Manchester United interest amid Chelsea and PSG links
- Victor Osimhen’s agent has received calls from Man Utd but Napoli firm on price tag