Manchester United are planning to include Anthony Martial in a summer approach for Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane, ESPN reports.
The Red Devils are expected to pursue a marquee striker this summer, and it has been recently reported that they could return for Kane’s services.
However, the England star may not come on the cheap with a hefty £100 million price tag. Hence, the Red Devils are looking to negotiate a possible part-exchange agreement.
Martial, who has previously been on Spurs’ radar, could be included as a makeweight for Kane to offset some of the cost. The club are also open to negotiating a separate sale.
It is unclear whether Spurs are still interested in the Frenchman. Reports also claim that Martial would prefer a move to Italy or Spain if he leaves United on a permanent basis.
United have experienced a tough campaign in the Premier League this term. Their attack has been a cause for concern in recent months.
The entire frontline has struggled for consistency including Cristiano Ronaldo, who has netted just four goals since the turn of the year.
Hence, the club are desperately in need for a genuine goal scorer. Kane, who has netted 22 goals this term, could form a deadly strike partnership alongside Ronaldo next season.
The England star has spent his entire career at Spurs, but they may sell him as he approaches the final two years of his deal. United are still wary of spending a British-record fee.
A swap deal appears a possible solution for the club, but Spurs may resist any deal for Martial, who has suffered a big drop in his performance levels over the past 18 months.
Martial, who is currently on loan at Sevilla, also sees his future away from the Premier League if he were to leave United for good. It is unlikely that United’s plan will materialise.
A player-plus-cash deal could still be on if United are willing to include another player that Spurs may be interested in. The London side have been linked with Dean Henderson in the past.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars