Manchester United could make a fresh attempt to sign Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, having previously failed with an approach in 2019, Corriere dello Sport claims.
The Red Devils are facing the prospect of losing midfielder Paul Pogba on a free transfer when his current contract expires at the end of the campaign.
Milinkovic-Savic is one of the players being considered to replace him. Corriere dello Sport claims that he has been on United’s thoughts for some while.
The Mancunian giants attempted to land his services in the summer of 2019, but failed to negotiate a suitable transfer package with Serie A outfit.
They are prepared to try again for the Serbian, who is described as the ‘most decisive’ central midfielder in Europe at the current point of time.
With just over two years left on his contract, Lazio may finally sanction his sale, but owner Claudio Lotito is expected to hold out for a big transfer sum.
Milinkovic-Savic is regarded as one of the best central midfielders in Serie A. He has proved that with regular goal contributions while also excelling defensively.
In the current season, he has nine goals and 10 assists to his name. He has achieved those statistics while predominantly operating from the central midfield position.
Pogba has also made a mark for United this term with one goal and nine assists, but the Frenchman’s contributions have come from an advanced attacking position.
It can be said that Milinkovic-Savic is better equipped for the role of the box-to-box midfielder as he has also fared better defensively than the World Cup winner this term.
The 27-year-old has won nearly three times more number of tackles than Pogba (0.7) per league game while also winning more aerial and ground duels in the process.
Hence, he could be considered as a potential upgrade on the Red Devils midfielder but will come with a premium transfer fee during this summer’s transfer window.
Lazio have lowered their transfer valuation for Milinkovic-Savic lately, but they are still eyeing at least €60 million to part ways with him. Paris Saint-Germain are also in the mix.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars