Manchester United could make a fresh attempt to sign Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, having previously failed with an approach in 2019, Corriere dello Sport claims.
The Red Devils are facing the prospect of losing midfielder Paul Pogba on a free transfer when his current contract expires at the end of the campaign.
Milinkovic-Savic is one of the players being considered to replace him. Corriere dello Sport claims that he has been on United’s thoughts for some while.
The Mancunian giants attempted to land his services in the summer of 2019, but failed to negotiate a suitable transfer package with Serie A outfit.
They are prepared to try again for the Serbian, who is described as the ‘most decisive’ central midfielder in Europe at the current point of time.
With just over two years left on his contract, Lazio may finally sanction his sale, but owner Claudio Lotito is expected to hold out for a big transfer sum.
Milinkovic-Savic is regarded as one of the best central midfielders in Serie A. He has proved that with regular goal contributions while also excelling defensively.
In the current season, he has nine goals and 10 assists to his name. He has achieved those statistics while predominantly operating from the central midfield position.
Pogba has also made a mark for United this term with one goal and nine assists, but the Frenchman’s contributions have come from an advanced attacking position.
It can be said that Milinkovic-Savic is better equipped for the role of the box-to-box midfielder as he has also fared better defensively than the World Cup winner this term.
The 27-year-old has won nearly three times more number of tackles than Pogba (0.7) per league game while also winning more aerial and ground duels in the process.
Hence, he could be considered as a potential upgrade on the Red Devils midfielder but will come with a premium transfer fee during this summer’s transfer window.
Lazio have lowered their transfer valuation for Milinkovic-Savic lately, but they are still eyeing at least €60 million to part ways with him. Paris Saint-Germain are also in the mix.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra