Manchester United are one of the main contenders to sign Inter Milan defender Denzel Dumfries during this summer’s transfer window, Calciomercato reports.
The Red Devils are expected to bolster multiple positions this summer, and a new right-back could be pursued with the lack of creativity from Diogo Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
Both players failed to register a goal or an assist last term, and it has been reported that Wan-Bissaka could be shown the exit door over the coming weeks.
Amidst this, Calciomercato claim that United are among the leading candidates to sign Dumfries, who is set to leave the Nerazzurri after a solitary campaign.
The Serie A giants need to balance their books to stay clear of Financial Fair Play sanctions and they are more inclined to offloading Dumfries over Alessandro Bastoni.
Aside from United, Bayern Munich have also been credited with an interest in the Netherlands international despite signing Noussair Mazraoui on a free transfer from Ajax.
United started last season with Wan-Bissaka as the regular right-back. The 24-year-old was effective defensively, but hardly provided any threat in the final third of the pitch.
Under interim boss Ralf Rangnick, Dalot became the regular during the backend of the campaign. He did not make a goal contribution either, but made more progressive passes.
The Portuguese averaged three long balls per league appearance, three times more than Wan-Bissaka. New manager Erik ten Hag has reportedly decided to keep him next term.
The 52-year-old would still want a solid upgrade. Dumfries could be a quality acquisition. He is a right-back by trade, but has largely played at right wing-back over the past 12 months.
Ten Hag tends to prefer full-backs, who are regularly involved in the attacking half, and Dumfries could do the job effectively. He bagged five goals and seven assists for Inter last term.
Bayern have also been credited with an interest. They can’t be completely ruled out of the pursuit, considering manager Julian Nagelsmann has played with a back three regularly.
They may have signed Mazraoui, but there could be a void to fill if Bouna Sarr leaves. Benjamin Pavard featured on the right side of the central defence with regularity last term.
The big advantage in United’s favour would be that they could guarantee Dumfries a consistent starting role. They may still need to pay around €35 million to prise him away from Inter.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest