Manchester United have been offered the chance to sign Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele on a cut-price deal this month, Spanish publication Sport reports.
The 24-year-old has entered the final six months of his Blaugrana contract, and talks over an extension have reached a complete standstill.
The Catalan giants are prepared to sanction his sale over the next fortnight rather than lose him on a free transfer in the summer.
The Red Devils and Newcastle United have been offered the opportunity to sign the World Cup winner. The Blaugrana want around €20m for the player’s services.
Dembele is free to speak with foreign clubs this month, and he can sign a pre-contract if he wishes to do so.
However, the Blaugrana are desperate to avoid the situation, and are looking forward to cashing in amid his contract stand-off.
United are one of the long-term admirers of Dembele, and they tried to sign him on an initial loan deal in the summer of 2020.
A deal did not materialise due to Dembele’s reluctance to sign a short-term renewal. He still has no plans of renewing his contract.
United need potential reinforcements this month as they look to boost their silverware prospects as well as top four ambitions.
Dembele would be a quality addition as he can play on both flanks. He has impressed with his dribbling and ability to find key passes.
Despite this, the negatives outweigh his positive attributes. He has been largely injury plagued during his four-and-a-half years at Camp Nou.
United would be taking a huge gamble on the player’s fitness while he will command significant wages to secure a mid-season move.
The attacker would want to be one of the highest-paid players at the club, and it’s simply not worthwhile with his poor injury record.
Jadon Sancho has barely made an impact since his big-money move last summer, and it could be a similar theme with Dembele.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars