Manchester United have offered midfielder Donny van de Beek to Roma on a season-long loan, according to reputed journalist Gianluca Di Marzio.
The Red Devils are looking to freshen up their options in midfield this summer, and they are currently in advanced talks to sign Mason Mount from Chelsea.
Erik ten Hag is targeting a second midfielder alongside Mount, and this could coincide with a couple of departures from the first-team squad.
Fred has already been put up for sale and Di Marzio now reports that United have offered Roma the chance to sign Van de Beek on loan.
The Netherlands international is not a priority for the Giallorossi at the moment, but they are prepared to evaluate the option in the next few days.
Van de Beek needs a new challenge
The Dutchman joined the Red Devils from Ajax with a big reputation in 2020. He was one of the best box-to-box midfielders in European football.
However, he has simply failed to replicate the showing. The 26-year-old has managed just two goals and two assists from 60 games for the club.
Van de Beek has looked out of sorts in the Premier League despite the fact that he played with a high intensity in Amsterdam under Erik ten Hag.
A reunion with the manager has not helped. Van de Beek barely made an impact last season before suffering a serious knee injury at the turn of the year.
He will be back for pre-season training, but no one is likely to buy a player, who has come off a lengthy setback. Hence, a loan exit seems a suitable option.
Roma boss Jose Mourinho has found good success with former United stars at the Stadio Olimpico.
Chris Smalling and Nemanja Matic were key players under him last term while Henrikh Mkhitaryan made a big contribution before his transfer to Inter Milan.
The Portuguese tactician could bring the best out of Van de Beek. The midfielder could be more effective in Serie A where the playing style is less intense and more tactical.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions