Manchester United are out of the race to sign Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham next summer, according to Sky Sport Germany journalist Florian Plettenberg.
Bellingham is currently one of the most sought-after midfielders in European football amid his exceptional progress at Dortmund over the past two-and-a-half seasons.
United are obviously admirers of him from his time at Birmingham City, but it is now revealed that the club have hardly any chance and are out of the race to sign the teenager.
Plettenberg reports that Dortmund are eyeing a package between €100-150 million for their prized asset and United’s rivals Liverpool are currently pushing to land his signature.
Missing out on Bellingham would be a blow for Man Utd
United signed Christian Eriksen on a free transfer last summer. The Dane has been impressive from the number eight position but the club need more competition for places.
Bellingham would be an outstanding signing. At just 19, he has excelled with his tackling, ability to win regular duels and has the knack for making regular goal contributions.
He definitely has world-class potential and would be a no-brainer signing for any top European side.
United have held a long-term interest in signing him but the question is whether Bellingham is prepared to join another club in transition. He has gone through the phase at Dortmund.
Apart from the Red Devils, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Manchester City have all been linked with Bellingham and each of those clubs have won plenty of silverware in recent times.
This has probably put United out of the race for Bellingham, who has excelled for England at the World Cup. The Red Devils still have plenty of top alternatives including Benfica’s Enzo Fernandez.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest