Manchester United have opened talks with defender Diogo Dalot over a new contract amid interest from the likes of Barcelona and AC Milan, journalist Jacque Talbot claims.
The Portuguese has been in fine form under manager Erik ten Hag. He has started in each of the club’s 11 games this season, chipping in with two goals in the process.
Despite his good run, there have been questions raised over his future at the club. His current deal expires in June next year, but United have a 12-month option.
While the extension clause is expected to be triggered soon, it is now revealed that the Red Devils are formally pursuing a new contract for the former Porto graduate.
Barcelona and AC Milan are among four clubs that are interested in him at the moment, but the 23-year-old is ‘inclined to accept’ the proposal from the Red Devils.
However, he is prepared to wait until after the World Cup to ‘maximise value’.
Dalot should be rewarded with new Man Utd contract
Dalot has been one of United’s most improved players and has been playing with confidence behind him knowing that he is now an undisputed starter from right-back.
Goal recently described him as an ‘undroppable‘ player and that is definitely the case at the moment with Aaron Wan-Bissaka having played just four minutes ahead of him.
It is unclear whether there is serious interest in Dalot. In our view, the recent transfer speculation could be agent-driven to ensure that United sort out Dalot’s future as soon as possible.
Dalot is currently one of the lowest earners at the club at just £25,000-a-week. A renewal could see his salary bumped to six figures. He certainly deserves to be rewarded for his efforts.
Aside from the Portuguese, United have several players including Marcus Rashford, Luke Shaw, David de Gea, Fred and Cristiano Ronaldo, who are in similar contract positions at the moment.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Spotrac.com
- Man Utd working on deal to sign Yann Sommer
- Glazers decide to drop semi-annual dividends after £225m summer spending spree
- Manchester United’s World Cup Quarter-Finalists – Predictions & Betting Tips
- How the playing surface at Old Trafford is created
- PSG president open to signing Marcus Rashford on a free transfer
- De Gea: Manchester United yet to open talks over a new contract
- Man Utd target Goncalo Ramos now valued at €80m by Benfica
- Man Utd have advantage over Real Madrid in pursuit of Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd duo should be sold in January after woeful displays against Cadiz
- ‘I will think about it’: Cody Gakpo opens the door for Man Utd transfer in January