Manchester United do not consider Wolverhampton Wanderers’ Ruben Neves and Leicester City’s Youri Tielemans as alternatives to Frenkie de Jong, The Athletic report.
United have still not given up on him, but they could resort to alternative targets if the Netherlands international continues to stick with his current transfer stance.
Neves (valued at £75 million) has been one of the league’s best-performing midfielders, but United have concerns over his ‘mobility’. The same has been highlighted for Tielemans, who could be available for £30m.
The Red Devils are aware of the availability of the Belgium international, and are not looking into a deal. There are questions over his mobility as well as ‘top speed’ to fit into Erik ten Hag’s tactical system.
Man Utd have no alternatives to De Jong at the moment
United have spent the entire summer looking to sign De Jong. They recently made the breakthrough with Barcelona over the fee, but the Dutchman remains reluctant to join the club.
Ten Hag has still urged the hierarchy to focus on the player. The 52-year-old has been in regular contact with his former Ajax star, and believes the club can get a deal over the line before September 1.
As things stand, only United have made a formal bid for De Jong. They seem in pole position to sign the midfielder with the Blaugrana pushing the player to head for an exit due to economic reasons.
However, United can’t afford to be complacent. Chelsea are keeping a close eye on De Jong, and them entering the race could prove a hammer blow as the player is prioritising Champions League football.
Hence, the Red Devils can’t play the waiting game for long. They need a quick answer from De Jong in the coming weeks such that they can turn their attention to an alternative which isn’t there at the moment.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr
- Manchester United’s December 2022 Preview: Schedule & Predictions
- Man Utd need to pay €50m up front to sign Cody Gakpo – Fabrizio Romano