Manchester United no longer expect to sign Ajax winger Antony after being priced out of a move, Manchester Evening News report.
The Red Devils were initially keen on landing a new striker this summer, but changed their focus to a ‘more versatile forward’ after missing out on Darwin Nunez.
Antony has since been mentioned as the top transfer target, but United are yet to meet Ajax’s reported valuation of €80 million. Their verbal proposal stands at €60m.
It is now reported by Manchester Evening News that United no longer expect to sign Antony due to the high valuation. Moreover, they don’t need another right winger.
Jadon Sancho has excelled from the role in recent friendlies against Liverpool and Melbourne Victory while Antony Elanga has been a solid deputy behind him.
United have made the right decision with Antony
United have found it tough to negotiate with Ajax this summer. The hierarchy were made to work hard to sign Lisandro Martinez, who cost them a final fee of around €67m.
Hence, the Eredivisie giants are unlikely to lower their transfer valuation for Antony, and United are better off looking elsewhere as they don’t need another long transfer saga.
Antony is a specialist left-footed right-winger, who would provide a different solution for United, but it does not appear worthwhile to spend a huge sum on a player, who is still nursing an ankle injury from last season.
The funds could be used to reinforce other key positions. A new right-back could be pursued with suggestions that Aaron Wan-Bissaka will be shown the exit door in the near future.
Diogo Dalot has started the first two friendlies under manager Erik ten Hag, but the Dutch tactician may want a creative presence. Denzel Dumfries and Jonathan Clauss could be options.
A new goalkeeper could also be signed to provide back-up to David de Gea while a midfielder is an obvious priority. United have already agreed a fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong.
However, the 25-year-old has yet to agree personal terms citing his deferred wages at Barcelona. If he does not give the green light to a transfer, United could turn their attention to Ruben Neves.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season