Manchester United will need to pay around €70 million to sign Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong this summer, Catalunya Radio reports.
De Jong has been a key player under manager Xavi Hernandez, but the Catalan giants could be open to selling him to balance their financial books.
The Blaugrana need to make a big sale before June 30, and it is reported that a fee of around €70m could tempt them to sanction his sale.
United have identified De Jong as a priority target. It is claimed that the midfielder would only leave Barcelona to reunite with Erik ten Hag.
United are set for a big summer rebuild, and part of the emphasis could be on the midfield department with the departure of multiple stars.
Nemanja Matic has confirmed that this would be his final campaign while Paul Pogba could walk out when his contract expires on June 30.
Ten Hag has been fancied to sign more technical players and De Jong could be an ideal fit, having worked under him for a few years at Ajax.
The Dutchman has averaged one tackle per game this term, but his excellent distribution and dribbling are among his key attributes.
De Jong has completed more than 91 per cent of his passes this term with 1.7 take-ons. He has also chipped in with four goals and five assists.
There may be questions over his physique, but the 24-year-old has proved his credentials at the biggest stage, operating from different midfield roles.
He would suit Ten Hag’s tactical philosophy which involves regular high pressing, but United will need to make a huge outlay for his services.
With a reported transfer budget of around €250m, Ten Hag should receive the go-ahead from the hierarchy to pursue the former Ajax star.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final