Manchester United will need to pay a significant transfer fee to sign Bayern Munich defender Benjamin Pavard this summer, according to BILD.
The Red Devils are currently in the process of selling Harry Maguire to West Ham United, but they are looking to land a replacement first.
United boss Erik ten Hag has urged the hierarchy to sign Pavard from the German champions, but a deal could be difficult to pull off for the club.
The Red Devils are willing to pay £25 million (€29m) for the 27-year-old, but Bayern currently value the France international between €45-50m.
As per BILD, Bayern are reluctant to sell him for anything less, having failed to negotiate the transfer of Kyle Walker from Manchester City.
Pavard has made it clear that he wants to join United this summer, but a deal depends on whether United are willing to pay a much higher fee.
United face stumbling block in Pavard’s pursuit
The Red Devils have had a brilliant summer transfer window with three quality signings in Mason Mount, Andre Onana and Rasmus Hojlund.
Pavard has been identified as the replacement for Maguire, but the club face a stumbling block with Bayern raising their transfer demands.
The Bavarian giants were initially willing to sell for around €30m, but the recent transfer setback over Walker has increased Pavard’s valuation.
In our view, United are unlikely to pay €45-50m for Pavard, but they may need to come close to the figure to persuade Bayern to part ways with him.
United could sign Nice’s Jean-Clair Todibo for €40m, but it appears Pavard is the priority for the manager, considering his versatility in defence.
The €96,000-a-week star is a strong ball-playing defender, who possess good tackling skills and likes to win aerial duels.
He can play comfortably at centre-back or right-back. This could be a prime reason behind Ten Hag’s preference to sign him over Todibo.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England
- Three Manchester United changes Erik ten Hag should make for the must-win UCL clash against Galatasaray