Manchester United will need to pay close to €60 million to sign Atalanta striker Rasmus Hojlund this summer, according to Gazzetta dello Sport (page 16).
The Red Devils are currently on the verge of landing Andre Onana from Inter Milan. They have agreed an initial €50m to sign the former Ajax goalkeeper.
After his arrival, the club’s hierarchy will focus on pursuing a new centre-forward, and it is quite clear that Hojlund is the priority target for manager Erik ten Hag.
It is now reported that Atalanta don’t face any pressure to sell their prized asset, and United will need to pay close to €60m to persuade them to consider his exit.
The Serie A outfit have agreed personal terms with Almeria’s El Bilal Traore, who could be his replacement, but the La Liga club won’t sell him on the cheap.
It has previously been claimed that Almeria want €40m to part ways with the Mali international.
Hojlund could be an elite striker in future
United were heavily linked with a move for Harry Kane earlier this summer, but Spurs were clear that they won’t negotiate with a direct Premier League rival.
This has turned United’s attention towards Hojlund. The Dane had a good 2022/23 season at club level. He contributed 16 goals and seven assists for Sturm Graz and Atalanta.
14 of those goal contributions came for Atalanta. He joined the Serie A outfit in late August, and only became a regular starter for them in the New Year.
His statistics were not extraordinary, but he has immense potential. We saw glimpses of it last term.
The 20-year-old has a strong aerial and physical presence, and is blessed with good pace on the counter-attack. He also has good vision in the opposition box.
Being a left-footed striker, Hojlund has been likened to Erling Haaland due to his playing style. In our view, he could become a potent goalscorer in future.
United must sign him as soon as possible so that he has a pre-season with the club. Else, the Dane may need more time to adapt, similar to his time at Atalanta.
Hojlund has already made a ‘promise‘ to join United and hopefully, the transfer can be finalised soon.
Ten Hag has recently received extra financial backing from the Glazers to land a new striker.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action