Manchester United will need to pay £85 million to sign Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Moises Caicedo, according to The Mirror.
The Red Devils bolstered their midfield with the signings of Casemiro and Christian Eriksen this summer and the duo have already made a big impression.
However, this has not stopped the speculation over more arrivals and The Mirror cite that United are one of the clubs interested in landing Brighton’s Caicedo.
United had the chance to sign the 20-year-old from Independiente for just £5m in the winter of 2021. It is now claimed that Brighton value him at an eye-watering £85m.
Man Utd could enter Caicedo race next summer
Caicedo only made his Premier League debut in April this year, but he has already made a huge impact with his superb defensive attributes from midfield.
This season, he has registered an impressive 2.8 tackles and 1.3 interceptions per top-flight game while winning 5.3 duels. He has also completed 87 per cent of his passes.
At just 20, the Ecuadorian has matured into a top-class defensive midfielder and he could build his reputation further during the upcoming World Cup in Qatar.
With the price tag quoted, a mid-season exit is unlikely, but there could be clubs lining up to sign him next summer. Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle are also keen.
United have the financial muscle to purchase Caicedo, but the big question is whether manager Erik ten Hag wants another holding midfielder in the first-team squad.
Aside from Casemiro, the Red Devils have Scott McTominay and Fred. One of the duo may have to leave (most likely Fred) if the club were to pursue Caicedo’s services.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr