Manchester United need to make an offer in excess of £45 million to sign Red Bull Salzburg striker Benjamin Sesko, iNews journalist Mark Douglas claims.
The Red Devils have made three summer signings in Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen and Lisandro Martinez, and there is expected to be more activity this month.
Regardless of Cristiano Ronaldo’s future at the club, a new striker could be pursued. Sesko has emerged as one of the top options for United’s hierarchy.
Contact has already been made with his representative, and it is now reported that an offer of over £45m could tempt Salzburg to sanction his departure.
The Austrian giants plan to keep him for next season, but it is suggested that their stance would change if they receive a big offer from a Premier League side.
United are not alone in the player’s pursuit with Chelsea and Newcastle United having also met his representative Elvis Basanovic over the past fortnight.
Man Utd may need to move fast for Sesko
Football director John Murtough has been in contact with Basanovic recently which suggests that United are weighing up an offer for the teenage sensation.
They may need to move fast with Chelsea and Newcastle also looking at him. The Blues may attempt to sign another striker if Timo Werner heads for the exit door.
The Magpies, on the other hand, are still waiting to land a promising young marksman after missing out on the talented Hugo Ekitike to Paris Saint-Germain.
Hence, United can’t afford to haggle over the fee for the 19-year-old if they are serious about him.
Sesko has registered just 39 senior appearances for Salzburg thus far, but he has made a big impression. He bagged 10 goals and seven assists last term.
This campaign, he has two goals and one assist from three outings for Salzburg. He recently hit the headlines with a superb winner against Liverpool in a friendly.
His performance involved a tremendous bit of trickery to beat two players, and this has already made him a favourite among a small section of the United supporters.
Sesko has the credentials to become an elite striker with his pace, dribbling ability, knack for making key passes and an eye for goal. He is also very good in the air.
He has already been dubbed as the new Erling Braut Haaland to add to the pressure. United missed out Haaland during his Salzburg days, and can’t afford another repeat.
They have not spent £45m plus on a teenager since Anthony Martial was signed from Monaco. A huge outlay could be worthwhile with manager Erik ten Hag at the helm.
Ten Hag is known for grooming young emerging players into potential world-beaters. His young Ajax side went all the way to the 2019 Champions League semi-final.
Ronaldo is unlikely to play every game if he stays. His workload needs to be managed and Sesko should get adequate opportunities in his debut season to prosper.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed
- Man Utd could return for Barcelona star Ansu Fati as Ten Hag eyes another left winger
- Man Utd closely following Sporting defender Goncalo Inacio