Manchester United are likely to sign Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong, provided they are willing to improve their initial transfer offer by €10m, according to Sport (today’s edition, page 5).
The Red Devils’ opening bid of €60m plus add-ons was rejected by the Blaugrana earlier this month, and The Guardian recently claimed that an improved offer of €70m plus variables will be made.
Following up on that story, Sport claim that the Catalan giants are willing to negotiate on the fixed fee. They were looking for €75m upfront, but are now prepared to accept around €70m from United.
However, they are likely to demand the remaining €5m in the form of add-ons. If an agreement is reached, it is claimed that De Jong could be available for the pre-season game against Liverpool on July 12.
Meanwhile, the 25-year-old has yet to agree personal terms with United over a potential transfer, but it is reported that he is unlikely to force his stay at Barcelona if they decide to sanction his departure.
United have been haggling over the price tag for De Jong over a number of weeks. Nothing seems to have changed with there still being a difference in the transfer valuations between the clubs.
However, the Red Devils have now been handed a boost with the Blaugrana willing to lower their fixed fee. They don’t want to overpay on players this summer, but a €10m difference should not act as a stumbling block.
United are one of the richest clubs in the world, and should show more ambition in the transfer market. Just yesterday, the Glazers and their shareholders took dividends of nearly €13m from the club.
The money could have quite easily gone into finalising the transfer of De Jong. Hence, the club don’t have any excuses to prolong negotiations for the Dutchman, and need to sort out the transfer fee at the earliest possibility.
De Jong was recently on Nations League duty with the Netherlands. If United sign him, he may only report for pre-season in the second week of July. At best, he could make a cameo against Liverpool in Thailand.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United plan to enter the transfer race for Moises Caicedo
- Impressive stats come to the fore following massive performance from Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes for Portugal
- Real Madrid join Man Utd in race to sign Argentine star Enzo Fernandez
- Facundo Pellistri shines for Uruguay in 2-0 World Cup defeat to Portugal
- FA Cup third round draw: Man Utd to host Everton at Old Trafford
- Casemiro scores wonder goal as Manchester United duo help Brazil move into last 16 at the World Cup
- Man Utd plan to recall Ethan Laird if Aaron Wan-Bissaka leaves in January
- Man Utd target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic impresses for Serbia in World Cup thriller vs Cameroon
- Man Utd should sign Vincent Aboubakar from Al-Nassr on loan in January
- Manchester United midfielder Fred opens up on taking inspiration from legendary World Cup-winning Brazil squad