Manchester United are likely to sign Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong, provided they are willing to improve their initial transfer offer by €10m, according to Sport (today’s edition, page 5).
The Red Devils’ opening bid of €60m plus add-ons was rejected by the Blaugrana earlier this month, and The Guardian recently claimed that an improved offer of €70m plus variables will be made.
Following up on that story, Sport claim that the Catalan giants are willing to negotiate on the fixed fee. They were looking for €75m upfront, but are now prepared to accept around €70m from United.
However, they are likely to demand the remaining €5m in the form of add-ons. If an agreement is reached, it is claimed that De Jong could be available for the pre-season game against Liverpool on July 12.
Meanwhile, the 25-year-old has yet to agree personal terms with United over a potential transfer, but it is reported that he is unlikely to force his stay at Barcelona if they decide to sanction his departure.
United have been haggling over the price tag for De Jong over a number of weeks. Nothing seems to have changed with there still being a difference in the transfer valuations between the clubs.
However, the Red Devils have now been handed a boost with the Blaugrana willing to lower their fixed fee. They don’t want to overpay on players this summer, but a €10m difference should not act as a stumbling block.
United are one of the richest clubs in the world, and should show more ambition in the transfer market. Just yesterday, the Glazers and their shareholders took dividends of nearly €13m from the club.
The money could have quite easily gone into finalising the transfer of De Jong. Hence, the club don’t have any excuses to prolong negotiations for the Dutchman, and need to sort out the transfer fee at the earliest possibility.
De Jong was recently on Nations League duty with the Netherlands. If United sign him, he may only report for pre-season in the second week of July. At best, he could make a cameo against Liverpool in Thailand.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot