Manchester United will need to speed up negotiations for right-back Sergino Dest amid reports that Barcelona are looking to swap him for Thomas Meunier.
The United States international has been deemed surplus to requirements by manager Xavi Hernandez. He has not made the matchday squad in the first two games of the campaign.
It is quite clear that the club are willing to sell him for a replacement, and earlier last week, it was reported that United boss Erik ten Hag wants a reunion with his former Ajax player.
Barcelona are willing to sell him for around €20 million this summer, but it seems United want to offload Aaron Wan-Bissaka first before considering an approach for the 21-year-old.
Amidst this, the Catalan giants have opened talks with Borussia Dortmund. The club are prepared to exchange Dest for the services of Meunier, as per Sport (today’s edition, page 10).
Man Utd need to move fast to sign Dest from Barcelona
United recently made the big-money purchase of midfielder Casemiro from Real Madrid. It was a huge statement, and there could be more late purchases in the transfer window.
Aside from the trio, a right-back could be pursued before the transfer deadline, and it is known for the past few weeks that Dest is the priority target for the Red Devils boss.
Ten Hag handed the young defender with his debut at Ajax during the 2019/2020 campaign. He was hugely impressive with eight goal contributions from 38 appearances.
This earned him the move to Camp Nou, but he has since struggled to impress. Dest has been played in multiple roles including left-back, right wing-back and on the right wing.
If he were to move to Old Trafford, there is a high possibility that he would be handed a regular starting spot at right-back. All of Ten Hag’s signings were in the starting XI versus Liverpool.
Dest would be a fantastic acquisition for United. He would be a big upgrade on Diogo Dalot and Wan-Bissaka with his superb distribution, dribbling skills and ability to make key passes.
The United States is also good defensively and can make crucial tackles. At 21, he has plenty of room for progress and Ten Hag could get the best out of him in the long run.
Hence, the club will need to move fast for his services, considering Barcelona are desperate to get rid of him and they may end up negotiating a swap agreement with Dortmund.
Wan-Bissaka’s situation seems to be holding up a potential transfer, but United could be better off signing Dest first before considering whether to loan out or sell the 24-year-old.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with
- Three Manchester United winners from the international break
- ‘He makes my game easier’ – Bruno Fernandes full of praise for Eriksen
- Diogo Dalot hoping for a new Man United contract with Europe’s elite clubs eyeing up transfer
- Manchester United midfielder gives verdict on Ronaldo’s performance after Portugal’s 1-0 defeat
- Ben Foster advises Jude Bellingham to join Manchester United
- Manchester United: Shaw and Ferdinand back Maguire after England horror show
- Cody Gakpo’s form could reignite interest from Manchester United in January