Manchester United need to make a straight-cash offer to sign Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic this summer, La Lazio Siamo Noi reports.
The Serbian has been a key player for the Serie A outfit over the past six-and-a-half seasons, but could leave them at the end of the current campaign.
The midfielder has just over two years remaining on his contract, and it has emerged that he has no plans of putting pen-to-paper on a new long-term deal.
Juventus are admirers of Milinkovic-Savic, but Lazio are unlikely to entertain their proposal of a player-plus-cash deal for the 27-year-old this summer.
As such, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain are deemed favourites to sign him, provided they are willing to make a cash offer in the region of €75 million.
Milinkovic-Savic has established himself as one of the best midfielders in Serie A. This season, he has bagged nine goals and 10 assists from 41 outings for Lazio.
He has also been solid defensively with a combined tally of three tackles and interceptions per game while winning nearly three aerial duels on average.
The Serbian has become a quality box-to-box midfielder, and could be seen as an upgrade on Paul Pogba, who looks likely to leave on a free transfer this summer.
However, the price tag could be a big stumbling block for United particularly if they are also looking at the option of pursuing a genuine holding midfielder.
A new striker could also be a priority with Cristiano Ronaldo no longer in his prime. United may have to offload some players first to recoup funds for a spending spree.
United were willing to spend €85m to pursue Sancho from Borussia Dortmund last summer, but the fee is being paid in instalments over a period of five years.
It remains to be seen whether Lazio will accept a similar proposal. Else Paris Saint-Germain may have the clear advantage as they have paid big sums outright previously.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars