Manchester United must explore the possibility of signing Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Yann Sommer following Martin Dubravka’s horror show against Burnley last night.
Dubravka was signed on a season-long loan from Newcastle United last summer, but he has since been unconvincing in his limited playing time for the Red Devils.
He had a nervous outing against Aston Villa in the Carabao Cup third round before the World Cup break and was also unimpressive in the 4-1 friendly loss to Cadiz.
However, yesterday’s performance against Burnley was definitely his worst. He could have easily conceded a couple of goals with his poor handling in front of goal.
With United 1-0 ahead, the Slovakian nearly gifted the Clarets with a way back into the game.
He failed to properly punch a cross which then ricocheted off Marcus Rashford. The resulting parry from Dubravka almost went into his own net before Casemiro’s last-gasp clearance.
The Magpies loanee also miscontrolled a simple backpass towards him at 1-0 but saved his blushes by hacking the ball away. It would have been a dreadful way to concede.
After such a performance, we would be surprised if Erik ten Hag considers playing him again. In our view, his loan contract should be terminated at the turn of the New Year.
Monchengladbach’s Yann Sommer is said to be eager to join United in either January or next summer, and the hierarchy should land him on a cut-price deal this winter.
The Swiss is far more composed than Dubravka in pressure situations. His strong distribution skills would also make him a quality competitor to David de Gea going forward.
One thing is for sure that De Gea is unlikely to be displaced from the number one role this term.
The Spaniard looks likely to stay next season too, considering the club have started negotiations over a new long-term contract with a significant pay-cut on his current salary.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out
- Nottingham Forest eager to sign Dean Henderson permanently next summer