Manchester United must sign Juventus striker Dusan Vlahovic this winter as they look to bolster their prospects of qualifying for the Champions League next season.
The Red Devils have been impressive during the first half of the campaign. They are currently one point adrift of fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League with a game in hand.
The club are certainly in a good position in the Champions League race at the moment but this should not prevent them from spending on a marquee striker next month.
Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford are currently the regular striker options under manager Erik ten Hag but the former has already suffered three injuries this season.
United must be wary of Martial’s injury record going forward and in our view, they should pursue a high-profile option in January to fill the void left by Cristiano Ronaldo’s exit.
Vlahovic is one of the best young strikers in world football and Tuttomercatoweb have recently revealed that Juventus could sanction his sale for €90 million in January.
Vlahovic’s arrival would benefit United and Glazers
The Red Devils have their sights on a top-four league finish this term and Vlahovic’s arrival could enhance their prospects as he is gifted with superb finishing skills.
Things have not worked out for him with Juventus but he could excel with a progressive style of play under Erik ten Hag. He will have more chances to find the back of the net.
Champions League football is obviously critical for United to lure world-class talents such as Jude Bellingham next season but it could also speed up a potential takeover.
United owners, The Glazer family, could receive more lucrative bids on the negotiation table. It can be considered as a win-win situation for both heading into the summer.
The big question is whether United can afford Vlahovic this winter. It could be possible if they decide to take a loan or finalise a staggered payment deal over multiple seasons.
United can also qualify for the Champions League by lifting the Europa League title but for this, they must first cross the hurdle of Barcelona in the knock-out play-off round.
Having Vlahovic in their ranks should improve their chances of progressing into the round of 16.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities