Manchester United must sign Juventus striker Dusan Vlahovic this winter as they look to bolster their prospects of qualifying for the Champions League next season.
The Red Devils have been impressive during the first half of the campaign. They are currently one point adrift of fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League with a game in hand.
The club are certainly in a good position in the Champions League race at the moment but this should not prevent them from spending on a marquee striker next month.
Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford are currently the regular striker options under manager Erik ten Hag but the former has already suffered three injuries this season.
United must be wary of Martial’s injury record going forward and in our view, they should pursue a high-profile option in January to fill the void left by Cristiano Ronaldo’s exit.
Vlahovic is one of the best young strikers in world football and Tuttomercatoweb have recently revealed that Juventus could sanction his sale for €90 million in January.
Vlahovic’s arrival would benefit United and Glazers
The Red Devils have their sights on a top-four league finish this term and Vlahovic’s arrival could enhance their prospects as he is gifted with superb finishing skills.
Things have not worked out for him with Juventus but he could excel with a progressive style of play under Erik ten Hag. He will have more chances to find the back of the net.
Champions League football is obviously critical for United to lure world-class talents such as Jude Bellingham next season but it could also speed up a potential takeover.
United owners, The Glazer family, could receive more lucrative bids on the negotiation table. It can be considered as a win-win situation for both heading into the summer.
The big question is whether United can afford Vlahovic this winter. It could be possible if they decide to take a loan or finalise a staggered payment deal over multiple seasons.
United can also qualify for the Champions League by lifting the Europa League title but for this, they must first cross the hurdle of Barcelona in the knock-out play-off round.
Having Vlahovic in their ranks should improve their chances of progressing into the round of 16.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe
- Manchester United won’t pay £20m for Newcastle director Dan Ashworth