Manchester United must secure the signature of Cody Gakpo in January despite the fresh €75 million valuation set by PSV Eindhoven.
The 23-year-old has been superb for club and country this campaign. He managed 13 goals and 17 assists from just 24 appearances for PSV before the mid-season break.
He has carried over his form to the World Cup with the Netherlands and has scored in three of their four matches. Hence, there are no surprises that PSV have increased their asking price.
Gakpo was valued at around €45m last summer but the fee was raised to €60m before the World Cup. The Eredivisie outfit have now upped his valuation to €75m, as per Foot Mercato.
Despite this, United must land his services in January as they look to boost their top-four prospects.
Why Man Utd must sign Cody Gakpo this winter
Gakpo has pre-dominantly played as a left-winger for PSV. However, the Dutchman can also operate from the number 10 and centre-forward roles as seen at the ongoing World Cup.
His versatility would be a huge boost for United as he can make goal contributions from different positions. The club may ideally see him as a striker – a position where he wishes to play.
In our view, United’s hierarchy must back manager Erik ten Hag with the big-money signing of Gakpo. The price is on the higher side but United can’t afford to delay their pursuit until the summer.
Arch-rivals Liverpool have also been linked with him. The Merseyside outfit spent big on the services of Luis Diaz from Porto last winter. They could plan another repeat with Gakpo.
Arsenal are also long-term admirers of the attacker and could make a serious approach following Gabriel Jesus’ knee surgery. Hence, United must sign him in January or risk missing out.
Gakpo has previously acknowledged that he was expecting to join United last summer. He is likely to prefer them in January if they can reach a suitable transfer agreement with PSV.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘He did magnificent’: Erik ten Hag praises Rasmus Hojlund’s impact in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag must start Aaron Wan-Bissaka to stop Man United’s old nemesis Wilfried Zaha
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hojlund returns
- ‘If they are good enough, they are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Manchester United’s route to finishing in the top four
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause