Manchester United must secure the signature of Cody Gakpo in January despite the fresh €75 million valuation set by PSV Eindhoven.
The 23-year-old has been superb for club and country this campaign. He managed 13 goals and 17 assists from just 24 appearances for PSV before the mid-season break.
He has carried over his form to the World Cup with the Netherlands and has scored in three of their four matches. Hence, there are no surprises that PSV have increased their asking price.
Gakpo was valued at around €45m last summer but the fee was raised to €60m before the World Cup. The Eredivisie outfit have now upped his valuation to €75m, as per Foot Mercato.
Despite this, United must land his services in January as they look to boost their top-four prospects.
Why Man Utd must sign Cody Gakpo this winter
Gakpo has pre-dominantly played as a left-winger for PSV. However, the Dutchman can also operate from the number 10 and centre-forward roles as seen at the ongoing World Cup.
His versatility would be a huge boost for United as he can make goal contributions from different positions. The club may ideally see him as a striker – a position where he wishes to play.
In our view, United’s hierarchy must back manager Erik ten Hag with the big-money signing of Gakpo. The price is on the higher side but United can’t afford to delay their pursuit until the summer.
Arch-rivals Liverpool have also been linked with him. The Merseyside outfit spent big on the services of Luis Diaz from Porto last winter. They could plan another repeat with Gakpo.
Arsenal are also long-term admirers of the attacker and could make a serious approach following Gabriel Jesus’ knee surgery. Hence, United must sign him in January or risk missing out.
Gakpo has previously acknowledged that he was expecting to join United last summer. He is likely to prefer them in January if they can reach a suitable transfer agreement with PSV.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities