Manchester United must beat Chelsea to the signing of RB Leipzig defender Josko Gvardiol, who has a low release clause of €50 million for next summer.
The Blues were keen on landing Gvardiol during the last transfer window, but Leipzig responded by handing a fresh long-term contract to the Croatian star.
Gvardiol has developed into one of Europe’s most sought-after centre-backs. The left-footed star has excelled with his concentration and impressive distribution.
The Croatian also likes to clear his lines regularly. At the World Cup, he has five clearances per game and recently made a stunning last-ditch tackle on Belgium’s Romelu Lukaku.
Hence, there are no surprises that he is attracting high-profile interest. Chelsea are hot on the trail of him and are looking into a possible pre-transfer agreement before next summer.
Gvardiol plays in the same position as Lisandro Martinez, but United need more competition for places in the squad if they are to challenge for major trophies under Erik ten Hag.
The 20-year-old, who can also play as a left-back, has the potential to become a world-class player in future. United should not bypass the opportunity to sign him next year.
Meanwhile, January could be a decisive month for United. The club may need another big spending spree to ensure their qualification for next season’s Champions League.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out
- Nottingham Forest eager to sign Dean Henderson permanently next summer