Manchester United had a productive summer transfer window but there is still plenty of improvement required before the squad can compete for the Premier League title again.
Director of football John Murtough recently said that United don’t necessarily plan to spend in January, but in our opinion, the club should be pro-active to secure the best targets available.
RB Leipzig’s Christopher Nkunku has been one player that has been linked on several occasions, and the Red Devils must look to sign him in January amid fierce competition from Chelsea.
However, United could scupper their transfer plans if they pursue Nkunku in January. Leipzig would be reluctant to sell, but a significant bid above the buy-out clause should persuade them.
After a record £220 million summer spending spree, it is quite clear that United have the transfer funds and the board must back Ten Hag in January rather than waiting for next summer.
Nkunku has been stupendous in the second striker role for Leipzig. He bagged a stunning 35 goals and 20 assists from just 52 appearances last term, and has continued his fine form.
The 24-year-old has already netted eight goals and one assist this campaign, and United must move early for his services this winter to avoid the prospect of losing out to their league rivals.
The club are craving for a genuine goalscorer up front, and Nkunku would be a superb signing for the next decade, considering he has just entered the prime of his playing career.
United have already learnt their lesson with missed opportunities to land Erling Haaland and Darwin Nunez in the past, and it remains to be seen whether they act quickly for Nkunku.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd working on deal to sign Yann Sommer
- Glazers decide to drop semi-annual dividends after £225m summer spending spree
- Manchester United’s World Cup Quarter-Finalists – Predictions & Betting Tips
- How the playing surface at Old Trafford is created
- PSG president open to signing Marcus Rashford on a free transfer
- De Gea: Manchester United yet to open talks over a new contract
- Man Utd target Goncalo Ramos now valued at €80m by Benfica
- Man Utd have advantage over Real Madrid in pursuit of Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd duo should be sold in January after woeful displays against Cadiz
- ‘I will think about it’: Cody Gakpo opens the door for Man Utd transfer in January