Manchester United must attempt to land Inter Milan defender Milan Skriniar, who could be available for just €20 million before the transfer deadline.
The Slovakian star was heavily linked with Paris Saint-Germain during last summer’s transfer window. The French club were prepared to offer €50m but it was insufficient for the Nerazzurri.
Simone Inzaghi’s side have since failed to convince Skriniar to put pen-to-paper on a new deal and Gazzetta dello Sport claim that they are now ready to accept a cut-price transfer.
With just over five months remaining on his contract, he could be prised away for just €20m before Tuesday’s transfer deadline. In our view, the Red Devils must capitalise on the situation.
United have opportunity to sign world-class Skriniar
Paris Saint-Germain were hot on the trail of the 27-year-old last summer but they are now prepared to wait until the end of the season to sign him amid Financial Fair Play concerns.
This offers the opportunity for other clubs to take advantage. United are one of those that can capitalise. They can bring in a world-class defender in January without breaking the bank.
Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez are obviously the preferred picks for manager Erik ten Hag, but the Dutchman may want a strong competitor to replace the former in certain games.
In recent weeks, Luke Shaw has shown that he can deputise for Martinez as the left-footed centre-back when required, but United don’t have a similarly reliable deputy for Varane.
Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire have not been consistent enough. In our view, Skriniar would be a fantastic addition in January and can be used in regular rotation with Varane.
United have the chance to sign him for a knockdown fee this month. There is no interest at the moment but Skriniar is likely to be tempted if the Red Devils make a late transfer approach.
Meanwhile, United could also sweeten the deal for Inter by allowing Maguire to move in the opposite direction on loan. Maguire could be a perfect fit in a more tactical league.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups