Manchester United are most interested in signing Nice centre-back Jean-Clair Todibo this summer, according to Spanish publication Mundo Deportivo (page 10).
The Red Devils are currently exploring the sale of Harry Maguire amid interest from West Ham United.
Todibo is one of the top names on United’s radar to replace the England international, and Mundo Deportivo claim that the club are ‘most interested’ in securing his services.
The defender’s move to Old Trafford would also benefit Barcelona, who included a 20 per cent sell-on clause when they sold the Frenchman to Nice in the summer of 2021.
Todibo’s move to United depends on Maguire exit
West Ham are not far from meeting the asking price for Maguire, but United face another stumbling block as they would need to compensate their former captain.
The 30-year-old is currently on £190,000-a-week, but the Hammers are only willing to offer him £100,000 weekly. The Red Devils may need to hand him a huge pay-off.
If United succeed in sanctioning his transfer, they could immediately turn their attention to purchasing Todibo, who was first linked with a move to Old Trafford in 2019.
The 23-year-old has been one of the best centre-backs in the French top-flight over the past year.
He completed an impressive 57 passes per game last term with an accuracy of 89 per cent. The ex-Barcelona man also won 2.2 tackles, 4.4 duels and made 3.1 clearances on average.
Todibo is well suited for the high intensity of the Premier League. He has the ability to recover in counter-attacking situations. He made 7.67 ball recoveries per outing in the recent campaign.
Nice currently value him at around £39m. For that price, he is a no-brainer signing for United. Todibo is only 23 and could become a regular starter for the Red Devils in the long run.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com, Sofascore.com & FBRef.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns