Manchester United have been hit by a number of injuries throughout the season and were just enjoying a rare, largely available squad.
Heading into Saturday’s 2-0 win over Huddersfield Town, it had been reported that Eric Bailly and Zlatan Ibrahimovic were the only two unavailable players for Jose Mourinho’s selection.
However, speaking after the weekend’s victory, the boss was able to add another name to the list.
Mourinho confirmed that Belgian midfielder Marouane Fellaini will be out until April after undergoing a knee operation on Saturday morning. He said:
“He had surgery this morning. I don’t want to be very specific. I prefer the doctor give you some information officially that we can put on our website. But it is not the end of the season. Not at all.
“It’s a small intervention in his external meniscus and I want to believe that, by the end of the March, he can be back. If he is back by the end of March, I hope we have a big April and a big May and we are still to play in more than one competition.”
Marouane Fellaini had been introduced as a second half substitute and then replaced only seven minutes later in our 2-0 loss at Tottenham Hotspur midweek, with Mourinho confirming after the game that the 30-year-old has been suffering with a knee problem this season.
The Belgian international is also in the final five months of his current deal at Manchester United so it will be interesting to see what shape he is in upon his return and whether he will be sticking around beyond this season.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup