Manchester United midfielder Christian Eriksen had a difficult outing against Bayern Munich in the Champions League on Wednesday night.
The Red Devils started their European campaign at the Allianz Arena yesterday with a 4-3 defeat. Casemiro was the main contributor with two late goals but it was not sufficient to secure a point.
A number of players struggled on the night and one of those was Eriksen. The Dane had an excellent chance to put United 1-0 up from a rebound, but he was not clinical enough.
As the game progressed, the Dane failed to gain a stranglehold in midfield. He was outsmarted by Leon Goretzka and Joshua Kimmich. He contested five ground duels and won none.
The 31-year-old also lost possession on 10 occasions and was dribbled past twice. There were no surprises that he was replaced by Scott McTominay in the 69th minute.
Eriksen had a brilliant start to his United career last season but unfortunately picked up an ankle injury in January. Since his comeback, he has been far from his best for the club.
The midfielder has been outrun by several opponents and yesterday was another example where he could not cope with the intensity and the work rate of Bayern’s midfielders.
In our view, the former Brentford man should be dropped from the starting line-up for the Burnley trip.
Mason Mount was back in team training in the lead-up to the Bayern game and he could be drafted straight into the starting line-up for Saturday’s visit to Turf Moor.
If Mount is unfit enough to start, we would give a chance to Hannibal Mejbri, who had a lively cameo against Brighton & Hove Albion with a sublime long-range goal.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling