Manchester United may need to pay more than €60 million to prise away Darwin Nunez from Benfica this summer, Portuguese outlet Record claims.
Nunez has been in sublime form for Benfica this campaign, bagging 25 goals from just 30 appearances across all competitions.
He was the subject of a €50m bid from West Ham United in January, but Benfica were reluctant to accept less than €60m for him.
It is now reported that the valuation may be ‘insufficient’ to lure him this summer with more high-profile clubs interested in his services.
The Red Devils and Manchester City have emerged as fresh contenders to land Nunez during the next transfer window.
Nunez made a big name for himself at Almeria two years ago. He was then linked with a Premier League move before Benfica signed him.
The Uruguayan had a decent debut campaign last term with 14 goals from 44 outings, but has come into his own this season after a knee surgery.
There are no surprises that he is being linked with a big-money transfer. United are widely expected to pursue a marquee striker with Edinson Cavani due to leave.
There is also the possibility of Cristiano Ronaldo pushing for a potential exit this summer if the Red Devils fail to qualify for next season’s Champions League campaign.
It could be a busy summer ahead for the club. Nunez has impressed playing as the main centre-forward or on the left wing, but can also operate in the second striker role.
The 22-year-old is not the best when it comes to his hold-up play but has good presence in the air and likes to take on defenders with his pace and solid dribbling ability.
His main strength has been his goalscoring. He has scored once in every three shots which is a pretty impressive statistic. United are bound to face plenty of competition for him.
While City have been mentioned in the report, arch-rivals Liverpool have also identified the marksman as a target. Champions League football could be key to luring him this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra