Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is eyeing a reunion with Ajax striker Brian Brobbey, according to Mirror.
The 21-year-old was fancied to reunite with Ten Hag at Old Trafford in the summer of 2022, but he rejected the proposal to rejoin Ajax from RB Leipzig.
Brobbey has since made 34 goal contributions for the Eredivisie giants in all competitions. Out of those, 16 have come in the current campaign from 24 games.
It is now reported that Ten Hag remains interested in signing Brobbey, but an approach could be put on hold until the summer due to the lack of transfer funds.
Brobbey has been earmarked as a potential replacement for Anthony Martial, who is expected to leave the club when his contract expires at the end of June.
Man Utd should only sign Brobbey for reasonable price
The Red Devils signed Lisandro Martinez and Antony from Ajax in the summer of 2022. Martinez has proved a good purchase, but the same can’t be said about Antony.
The club had the opportunity to sign the Brazilian for €60 million in June that year, but they ended up agreeing a deal worth €100m for him before the transfer deadline.
Ajax made the most of Ten Hag’s desire to land Antony and United gave in to their demands.
In our view, the Red Devils must avoid another repeat with Brobbey. The Dutch striker had a good time under Ten Hag, scoring seven goals in 12 league games in 2022.
He has yet to become a potent goal scorer but has traits that would suit United. He has a tireless work rate, can link-up play and is strong in the air despite being 180cm.
Brobbey could be seen as an ideal deputy and competitor to Rasmus Hojlund, but United should avoid being held to ransom by Ajax. A deal should be agreed for not more than €35m.
Anything more, United should walk away from negotiations with the Amsterdam outfit.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow