Manchester United have made a third offer of £50 million plus £5m in add-ons to sign Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount this summer, according to The Athletic‘s David Ornstein.
The Red Devils are determined to secure the services of Mount from the Blues, but their pursuit has been far from straightforward. They initially made an opening bid of £40m before making a renewed proposal in the region of £50m.
United have now offered a package of £55m for the England international and it remains to be seen whether Chelsea will consider the proposal. The Blues are currently eyeing £60m plus £7m in add-ons for the £80,000-a-week star.
United reluctant to pay over the odds for Mount
Chelsea recently sanctioned the sale of Kai Havertz to Arsenal for £60m plus £5m in add-ons. However, the Germany international had two years left on his contract unlike Mount, who will enter the final year of his deal next month.
Hence, United are right with their current valuation of the 24-year-old. They don’t want to pay over the odds for a player, who could become a free agent next summer. Chelsea are yet to respond, but this could be United’s final proposal.
If the Blues turn down their latest offer, United could decide to walk away from negotiations. It has been reported lately that the club could switch their attention to Brighton & Hove Albion’s Moises Caicedo if they can’t agree a deal for Mount.
Mount would be a quality acquisition for United with his creativity and tireless work rate from midfield. Erik ten Hag is eager to bring him to Old Trafford, but he will be aware that United can’t overspend with a upfront budget of only £120m.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action