Manchester United have made an opening bid for Ajax defender Lisandro Martinez which is higher than what Arsenal have offered, TalkSPORT’s Alex Crook reports.
The Red Devils are eyeing a new central defender this summer, and it has recently emerged that Martinez is the prime target for manager Erik ten Hag.
Crook has now reported that United have made an opening proposal of £39 million for the Argentine which tops Arsenal’s two bids. The Gunners’ latest offer stands at £35m.
Furthermore, it has been revealed that the package is close to the £41m fee that Ajax are willing to accept. Martinez is said to be keen on a reunion with his former Ajax boss.
Martinez worked with Ten Hag for three seasons at Ajax. Last campaign, he was at his very best with an impressive 2 tackles, 1.9 interceptions and 2.8 clearances per league game.
The Argentine also excelled with his ability to win regular ground and aerial duels while completing nearly 89 per cent of his passes throughout the season.
If he were to join United, he would pretty much be assured a starting role in central defence unlike teammate Jurrien Timber, who is still fairly early in his playing career.
Arsenal are also not giving up on their pursuit, but United should be favourites with more budget in the bank than the Gunners, who have already spent £85m this summer.
Martinez may also give preference to United due to Ten Hag as well as the assurance of playing at the heart of the defence. Arsenal view him as more of a left-back, which is not his strongest position.
Aside from operating in central defence and left-back, Martinez can also play as a holding midfielder. His versatility will be an added advantage for United in case of an injury crisis.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot