Manchester United have made an opening bid for Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana, according to Alfredo Pedulla.
The Red Devils are looking for a new shot-stopper this summer, and Onana is reportedly the top target for manager Erik ten Hag.
Ten Hag knows him well from their time together at Ajax, but United still need to find an agreement with Inter to secure his services.
It is now revealed that they have made a first offer of €40 million plus €5m in add-ons for the 27-year-old.
Inter have not accepted the proposal as it is below their expectations. The Nerazzurri want €50m up front with €10m in add-ons.
The Serie A outfit have not set any official deadline for Onana’s transfer, but they prefer to sort out his future by the 20th of July.
United need to speed up negotiations for Onana
United’s football director John Murtough prefers to negotiate one deal at a time. In our view, this needs to change in the coming weeks.
The Red Devils recently spent a fortnight to secure an agreement for Mason Mount. They failed with three bids before convincing Chelsea to sell.
The club obviously want to lower the final fee due to a limited budget, but they can’t afford another transfer saga on Onana lasting for weeks.
Arsenal and Liverpool have been pro-active in trying to complete their transfer business before the pre-season friendlies. United are slow in this aspect.
Mount will link up with his new teammates soon, but aside from him, the club are not close to signing anyone. They have just started talks for Onana.
In the worst case scenario, Onana could join the club in the back end of July before they consider the purchase of a striker, which is the top priority.
Last summer, Casemiro and Antony were only signed after the season started. Hopefully, we don’t see a repeat of a similar situation this time around.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return