Manchester United have made an opening proposal worth €105 million for Benfica striker Darwin Nunez, Portuguese outlet Correio da Manha (today’s edition, page 5) reports.
The Red Devils are determined to sign a new centre-forward during the upcoming transfer window, and it has emerged that Nunez is the number one choice for new manager Erik ten Hag.
It is now reported that United have made a €105m bid for the 22-year-old with €75m being paid up front. Meanwhile, they are willing to settle an additional €20m in easily achievable add-ons.
The remaining €10m will be based on United loaning out a player to Benfica. Surprisingly, the club seem to have proposed Andreas Pereira as part of the deal to sign the Uruguayan star.
United are currently awaiting a response from Benfica, who seem to be eyeing a better transfer proposal from elsewhere at the moment.
Nunez was in sensational form for the Portuguese outfit last term, bagging 34 goals and four assists from just 41 appearances. His performances in the Champions League were a big highlight of his progress.
The former Almeria man scored against the likes of Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Liverpool, thereby erasing any doubts that he would struggle against elite European teams outside of the Primeira Liga.
Nunez may have scored plenty of goals as the main striker, but is also comfortable playing from the left wing. The Uruguayan amassed 10 goals from just five appearances from the wide position last term.
He would be a perfect player in United’s attack under Ten Hag, but the big question remains whether they can secure his services this summer amid the potential competition from Real Madrid among others.
United’s failure to make the Champions League is a big blow, but Nunez could still be lured with the prospect of becoming the leader of the club’s attack alongside a substantial increase on his weekly wages.
The main stumbling block for United could be Benfica’s position. The Portuguese outfit could be leaning towards a higher sum up front as they owe around 20 per cent of any fee to former club Almeria.
The prospect of signing Pereira on loan may also not be an intriguing option for Benfica. The Brazilian has not lived up to his early potential. He was away on loan with Flamengo during the previous season.
United may need to make a fresh and better offer to persuade Benfica into a deal for Nunez. They may have to act fast with Madrid considering an approach for him after missing out on Kylian Mbappe.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag wants Man Utd to sign Cody Gakpo in January, Rafael Leao is the alternative
- Man Utd great candidates to sign Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix in January
- Harry Maguire impresses for England in World Cup stalemate against USA
- Man Utd have Jonathan David on their radar, Lille would sell him for €50m
- Four Irish Players United Could Sign Next
- Man Utd ready to step up chase for €60m-rated Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd join Barcelona in race to sign midfielder Martin Zubimendi
- Key night for Manchester United trio as England eye World Cup progress
- Saudi government would back private sector bids for Man Utd
- Manchester United’s ‘winter’ friendlies and what Erik ten Hag can achieve with them