Manchester United have made initial contact to sign RB Leipzig defender Nordi Mukiele this summer, French publication L’Equipe claims.
The Red Devils currently have Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot as the right-back options, but the former has been touted to leave.
United manager Erik ten Hag is said to be eyeing an attacking full-back, and L’Equipe cites that United are looking into a deal for Mukiele.
There has been ‘initial contact’ for the Frenchman, who could be available for €10-15 million with his contract expiring next summer.
Wan-Bissaka started as the first-choice right-back at the beginning of last season, but was displaced by Dalot at the turn of the year.
The former was solid with his tackling and interceptions, but interim boss Ralf Rangnick favoured Dalot for his better all-round qualities.
Dalot averaged a similar number of tackles as Wan-Bissaka (2.3 to 2.6) but also made more progressive passes, overlapping runs while attempting early crosses into the box.
Despite the Portuguese’s efforts, he failed to register a goal or an assist. The same has been the concern for Wan-Bissaka, who is defensive-minded.
In Mukiele, United will be getting someone, who is better equipped in the final third. He registered seven goal contributions last season.
He averaged just 1.3 tackles per appearance for Leipzig, but the majority of his outings last term came from the right wing-back position.
The 24-year-old previously played a full season at right-back in 2019/2020, averaging an impressive 2.4 tackles and 1.9 interceptions per game.
Hence, there are no concerns over his defensive attributes as well and his versatility to play in central defence should be an added boost.
Mukiele started his Leipzig career as a regular central defender, but the Bundesliga outfit have since made use of his attacking qualities.
Aside from United, the former Montpellier man is on the radar of Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid this summer.
Atletico failed with a January approach for Mukiele, but United may still have the edge with advisor Ralf Rangnick having managed him.
Rangnick recruited Mukiele for Leipzig four years ago, and the German tactician could play a key role in luring him to Old Trafford.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest