Manchester United have made an improved bid to sign Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount, according to The Athletic.
The Red Devils have identified the 24-year-old as their priority target with manager Erik ten Hag keen to add more creativity from the centre of the park.
United have today made an improved offer of £45 million plus £5m in add-ons for Mount, but Chelsea have countered the proposal by requesting £60m plus £5m in bonuses.
As per The Athletic, the Blues are keen to comply with the wishes of the England international, but United will not keep increasing their offer for the midfielder.
It is claimed that an agreement is ‘edging closer’ between the clubs.
United could secure Mason Mount deal before June 30
Mount has been on the radar of Arsenal and Liverpool, but he has a clear choice of moving to Old Trafford. Hence, United have a clear run at signing him.
United have been unsuccessful with a second bid worth £50m, but they should be optimistic of an agreement soon due to Chelsea’s current financial situation.
The Blues are aiming to balance their books before the financial year ends on June 30. Hence, they are likely to prioritise player sales before the end of the month.
This should play into United’s favour. In our view, the Red Devils are unlikely to meet the Blues’ asking price, but a middle ground could be reached pretty soon.
Mount should be a quality acquisition for United. He possesses better work rate and creativity than Christian Eriksen, and would be a solid upgrade in central midfield.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action