Manchester United have made a formal bid to re-sign Memphis Depay from Barcelona, reputed journalist Gerard Romero claims.
The Red Devils are aiming to bolster their attacking department before the transfer deadline, and they could make more than one signing.
Ajax’s Antony is obviously the prime target for manager Erik ten Hag, and United may need to pay a hefty fee of around €100m to prise him away.
Talks are still ongoing between the clubs, but it appears United are also making progress towards re-signing Depay from the Blaugrana.
Depay would be a quality acquisition for Man Utd
Depay had a difficult first stint with United between 2015 and 2017, registering only two goals and an assist from 33 league outings. He left them for Lyon after just 18 months.
He has since transformed himself. The Netherlands international was left-wing dominant earlier in his career, but he can now comfortably lead the line on his own.
With his versatile ability, he would be a quality acquisition for United. Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Cristiano Ronaldo are presently the striker options, but the latter could still leave.
Meanwhile, Martial’s injury record has been concerning this campaign, and United can’t overly rely on Rashford each game. Depay would provide solid competition.
Personal terms may not be a concern, considering the player is open to a second chance with United. He will want to redeem himself after a dismal first spell in England.
If United can sign him, Antony and a new right-back, it could turn into a superb transfer window. The club are on the up after a horror start to the Premier League season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr