Manchester United have made a contract offer to Christian Eriksen whose deal with Brentford expires at the end of the month, The Athletic reports.
The Dane suffered a shock cardiac arrest at the European Championships last summer, but followed up to make a terrific recovery before signing a short-term deal with the Bees (January).
Eriksen was hugely influential for the west London outfit with one goal and four assists from 11 appearances as they stayed well clear of the relegation places in the Premier League.
It was recently claimed that United manager Erik ten Hag would like to bring Eriksen to Old Trafford and The Athletic reports that a formal contract offer has now been made to the player.
United are set to lose the likes of Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata and Edinson Cavani at the expiry of their contracts this month, and this will save them wages of around £24 million.
A young winger could be one of the priorities for the club with the ongoing pursuit of Antony, but Ten Hag may also want to add more experience and depth for the number 10 position.
The Dutchman got the best out of Dusan Tadic and Sebastien Haller at Ajax after their mixed Premier League spells. It is clear that he is not averse to pursuing experienced forwards.
Eriksen would be a superb acquisition on a free transfer and could offer stiff competition to Bruno Fernandes, who has been an undisputed starter from the attacking midfield role.
The Portuguese did not have the best of campaigns last time around, but there was not much rotation with Mata and Lingard barely impressing with the limited playing time.
It was the same case with Donny van de Beek before his loan exit. He could have a future under his former manager, but will have to fight for his place with new arrivals expected.
Eriksen has also been linked with a reunion with Tottenham Hotspur, but he could be tempted to work with Ten Hag. The Dutchman was Ajax’s manager when he trained with them during the first half of last season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Spotrac.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest