Manchester United have made contact with the representatives of Borussia Monchengladbach star Marcus Thuram over a free transfer this summer, Calciomercato report.
The France international has had a good campaign with the Bundesliga outfit, scoring 14 goals and providing four assists from 25 appearances in all competitions.
He is widely expected to leave the club when his contract expires in June and Calciomercato cite that Juventus and Inter Milan are set to face Premier League competition.
The Serie A duo stand to benefit from the Italian Growth Decree on Thuram but it is reported that the 25-year-old could earn a better salary with a move to the English top-flight.
United are one of the clubs that have made ‘contact’ with his camp. However, they are not alone with Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United also in the race for his services.
Thuram could replace Anthony Martial at United
Martial has been sidelined with five separate injuries during the current season and he has been restricted to just over 700 minutes of first-team football in all competitions.
Hence, the club are already contemplating his exit in the summer and in our opinion, Thuram would be an upgrade on his compatriot for the 2023/24 campaign and beyond.
Thuram is obviously a couple of years younger than Martial but also possesses superior dribbling skills. He is also better when it comes to winning ground and aerial duels.
Like Martial, he can play on the left wing or up front. The 25-year-old would be a huge bargain for United on a free transfer and could be used in rotation by manager Erik ten Hag.
United currently face competition from four European sides but should easily lure Thuram to Old Trafford with a lucrative signing-on fee and a big hike on his £54,000-a-week wages.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Capology.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups