Manchester United are widely-expected to sign another centre-back this summer and have been linked to numerous top players over the past couple of months.
Eric Bailly has not been a regular in our defence for the final month or so of the season, whilst Chris Smalling and Phil Jones have never come across as long-term fixtures in Jose Mourinho’s plans. Victor Lindelof has also been very slow to settle into life in England.
One proven Premier League centre-back that we are being linked with strongly this summer is Tottenham Hotspur’s Toby Alderweireld.
The Belgium international faces an uncertain future in North London as he only has another 12 months left on his contract. However, there is a clause in which Spurs could extend it by a further 12 months but that would also trigger a £25 million buyout clause.
As a result, Mauricio Pochettino’s side are expected to cash in this summer. And it looks as though Jose Mourinho wants to bring Alderweireld to Manchester United as Belgium journalist Kristof Terreur is reporting that we have made phone calls over the possibility of signing the 29-year-old.
Toby Alderweireld has been one of the top centre-backs in the Premier League over the past three seasons, though was limited to just 14 appearances (13 starts) due to injuries this past campaign.
Terreur confirmed that we have shown an interest in the Tottenham defender. He told the Transfer Talk podcast:
“Man United are looking for a defender.
“They have made some phone calls about him. They haven’t made an offer yet. I wonder if Spurs want to do business with a direct competitor.”
Last week the Daily Mail reported that we could sign Toby Alderweireld for £40 million this summer.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations