Manchester United made a big transfer offer to sign Paris Saint-Germain attacker Xavi Simons during the recent transfer window, according to L’Equipe.
The Dutchman had a fantastic 2022/23 season with PSV Eindhoven. He scored 22 goals and provided 12 assists from 48 appearances in all competitions.
His splendid form convinced Les Parisiens to trigger the €6 million buy-back clause in his contract.
L’Equipe now reveal that United and Leipzig made big-money offers to sign Simons, but Les Parisiens could not cash in on him due to restrictions.
If PSG had opted to sell him last summer, the entire fee would have gone to PSV.
The same will be the case until next summer. Simons is currently at Leipzig on loan. Negotiations are underway to extend his stint for another year.
United could have proposed loan deal for Simons
The 20-year-old has the ability to play anywhere in attack. This season, the €40 million-rated star has operated from the right wing, registering three goals and four assists from 11 games.
This is a position where United have been struggling this term. Antony has been the regular from the role, but the Brazilian has hardly made goal contributions for the club.
United tried to experiment with Bruno Fernandes and Facundo Pellistri, but they have not found much success either. Simons would have been a quality acquisition for them.
In our view, United could have proposed a similar loan deal as Leipzig, but their chances of signing him could have been less due to Simons’ demands for regular game time.
Antony was an undisputed starter for United on the right flank until his time away from the game last month. Erik ten Hag obviously has a preference of starting him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action