Manchester United made a club-record bid to sign West Ham United midfielder Declan Rice during last summer’s transfer window, according to talkSPORT.
The Red Devils spent much of last summer trying to sign Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong but the Netherlands international made it clear that he did not want to leave.
As a result, they ended up pursuing Casemiro from Real Madrid. The 30-year-old has been one of United’s best signings with several stand-out performances.
It is now reported that the Red Devils made an ambitious attempt to land Rice for £100 million last summer but the Hammers had no plans of selling him.
However, they are open to doing business at the end of the season. The Hammers are set to demand £120m plus add-ons for Rice in the next transfer window.
United are still interested in signing him but face fresh competition from Arsenal and Chelsea.
United could move for Rice despite Casemiro’s success
Casemiro has been a revelation for United since his move from the Bernabeu. He had a slow start to his career but has grown in confidence after adapting to the league.
Putting his disciplinary record aside, the Brazilian star has been instrumental in the club’s push for Champions League football. He is already a clear favourite among fans.
Hence, it is unlikely that he will be displaced from the number six role anytime soon. United could still attempt to land Rice, who would be perfectly suited to play alongside Casemiro.
The England ace is one of the best ball distributors in the Premier League. While he is known for his defensive qualities, he has also managed over 25 shots and created over 25 chances this term.
He has the credentials to develop into a quality number eight. Christian Eriksen could be used as a rotational player alongside Rice if the latter makes the switch to Old Trafford this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Squawka.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books