Although yesterday’s report said Manchester United are finalising a proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa, the Red Devils have yet to get over the finish line.
According to Portuguese media outlet A Bola, the Old Trafford powerbrokers are keen to drive the keeper’s price down, with the Dragons seeking €75 million to let him leave.
The Primeira Liga heavyweights want at least €50m upfront, as communicated to the player’s representative Jorge Mendes.
The Portuguese super agent is aware of the Porto’s need to complete an urgent sale to balance their books.
Man United have been on Costa’s tail since January after he earned broad attention for his impressive displays at the Qatar World Cup with Portugal.
Despite keeping more clean sheets than any other goalkeeper in the Premier League in 2022/23, David de Gea’s place between the sticks is still up in the air.
Erik ten Hag is on the lookout for a new goalie to contest the Spaniard for a regular starting berth or even replace him due to his well-documented proneness to errors.
Costa, who enjoyed a stellar Champions League campaign with Porto, has caught the Dutchman’s eye, yet the Red Devils must pay attention to the financial aspect of the deal.
Shelling out €50m for a keeper of Costa’s potential in today’s market would be a bargain, but Man United would likely have to include several add-ons to meet Porto’s valuation.
United can use Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot to convince the Switzerland-born star to put pressure on Porto to lower their demands and facilitate his switch to Old Trafford.
But one way or another, Costa will leave the Estadio do Dragao this summer.
As one of the club’s most valuable assets, his departure is necessary to help Porto raise funds this summer, meaning Man United are in a perfect position to strike a deal.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action