Manchester United loanee James Garner produced an impressive showing for Nottingham Forest on Sunday evening as they eliminated FA Cup holders Leicester City.
The Championship outfit stunned Arsenal with a 1-0 victory in the third round of the competition. They replicated the performance against the Foxes, who were simply second best.
Forest put four goals past the reigning champions while conceding once. Garner was one of the top performers for the club, winning three ground duels and registering two key passes.
The 20-year-old also delivered a quality assist from a corner for Joe Worrall, who made it 3-0 for Forest after just 32 minutes on the clock. It was another top display from the United graduate.
Garner was loaned out to Forest during the backend of last season after a difficult stint with Watford. The midfielder made a good impression, bagging four goals from 20 appearances.
Despite showing promise, it was suggested by his agent that he could be loaned out again.
Rangers were in the mix to sign him before Forest reached an agreement over a season-long loan.
The move has been ideal for Garner with the chance to develop without a change in surroundings. He has recently chipped in with assists in back-to-back matches, both from corners.
United could be pursuing a high-profile defensive midfielder this summer, but Garner will hope to become a regular part of the first-team plans under the next permanent manager.
Before that, his main priority will be on guiding Forest back to the top-flight after a two-decade wait.
The club are just outside the play-off spots and could use the FA Cup momentum to spur their promotion charge.
Stats from SofaScore.com.
- Manchester United find out FA Cup semi-final schedule
- Man Utd can prise away new ‘Erling Haaland’ for €50-60m this summer
- Victor Lindelof key to unlocking Denzel Dumfries’ switch to Manchester United
- Man Utd in pole position to sign wantaway Barcelona whizz-kid Ansu Fati
- Dean Henderson rejected Erik ten Hag’s proposal to return to Man United in January
- David de Gea turns down latest Manchester United contract
- Pep Guardiola’s comments on Harry Kane should serve as a warning to Man United
- Man Utd face competition from Chelsea and Real Madrid for Goncalo Ramos
- Man Utd star Scott McTominay scores stunning brace in Scotland’s 2-0 win vs Spain
- Manchester United’s Top-10 Highest Earners