Manchester United loanee Alvaro Fernandez delivered an impressive performance during Preston North End’s 2-1 win over Reading in the Championship yesterday.
The Red Devils graduate has had a fine season with the Lilywhites and he bagged his sixth assist of the campaign in their late 2-1 victory over Reading at Deepdale.
Aside from his assist, the left wing-back had 69 touches, completing 33 out of his 41 passes. He won an impressive nine duels, three tackles while completing four take-ons.
Fernandez had a slow start to the campaign with Preston following an ankle injury but the 20-year-old has been hugely influential in their promotion charge this year.
Fernandez could secure Premier League loan next season
United currently have Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia as their first-choice left-backs and it is unlikely that Fernandez will displace either player for the 2023/24 campaign.
Shaw only recently penned a long-term contract and he is the undisputed starter in the Premier League. Meanwhile, Malacia has impressed whenever he has played.
The Dutch international does not possess the same attacking attributes as Shaw but he has caught the eye with his strong tackling skills and ability to win regular duels.
Hence, we don’t see Fernandez breaking into Erik ten Hag’s first-team plans. The young Spaniard could be sent out on loan to a Premier League side next season.
If Fernandez can replicate similar performances in the top-flight, Ten Hag could have a big decision to make in future. The youngster definitely has the potential to become a United regular.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’