Manchester United have been linked with a surprise move for Atalanta midfielder Teun Koopmeiners ahead of the summer transfer window, according to Tuttosport (today’s edition).
The Dutchman has been touted to leave Atalanta for some period of time and it is anticipated that he could head for the exit door when the transfer window reopens later this year.
Juventus are among his long-term admirers but Tuttosport claim that they face competition from United and Tottenham Hotspur ‘above all’ for the 25-year-old’s signature.
The interest from United is said to be driven by manager Erik ten Hag, who is a huge admirer.
Atalanta are set to demand at least €60 million for their prized asset, having previously turned down a package worth €48m from Napoli during the 2023 summer transfer window.
United’s link with Koopmeiners could be agent-driven
Koopmeiners started off his career at AZ as a holding midfielder, but he has played from an attacking role over the past few years. He has 11 goal contributions from 26 outings this term.
The Dutchman’s creativity and ball recovering skills have caught the eye, but we don’t believe United will consider an approach for him as the focus could be on pursuing a new number six.
In our view, the speculation could be agent-driven. United are probably being used as a negotiation tool by his representatives such that clubs are willing to come close to the asking price.
If United were to sign a midfielder, it could be in the mould of Real Sociedad’s Martin Zubimendi, who has strong defensive attributes. He has been described as the Gen-Z Sergio Busquets.
A move could be dependent on the future of Casemiro. There are claims that United could be prepared to terminate his contract this summer to save funds for a new defensive midfielder.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow